Friday, February 4, 2011

We are connected!

For the past couple of weeks I have been in wonderful communication with a representative of the John Hopkins University who has been fantastic in organising, facilitating and communicating how we can make the Connecting Project a reality. We are scheduled to begin exchanging letters, emails, packages, ideas, thoughts and lives with children across the globe from Cape Town!

Both the children and I are super excited to begin and I find myself constantly thinking about how it will all work out. Will the children love it? Will they lose enthusiasm? It's all a first time for me and I am constantly monitoring and evaluating my actions and my thoughts.

I have not yet been successful in linking with a school in Egypt and given the current revolutionary energy there, I am inclined to suggest to the children that they choose another country in Africa. I have existing links in Ghana, Kenya, and Madagascar, but that is it. So, tomorrow when I do see them, we can have a discussion as to what other countries they could be interested in linking with.

In terms of funding, I have been working toward manifesting a sizable in-flow. I am seeking out information about how to better fundraise and some of the feedback I have been getting has been to register Creative Education as a Non-profit Organisation. I must look seriously into that. For me it would be a huge step. I guess I am a little nervous to step up to the plate...

But, to end on a flying-high-kind-of-a note, we are doing a very cool mapping exercise tomorrow where the children will be talking about how the space around them impacts their sense of identity. Plus, next week we go online with the children in Baltimore, USA! 

A massive and loving thank you to Dr Katherine Newman and Erin Galloway of the John Hopkins University.

No comments:

Post a Comment