Monday, October 10, 2011

Moving on up

It has been a busy 2 and a half months.

After much thought I have decided to move forward with Creative Education. Moving forward means that I have now registered us as an Nonprofit organisation (NPO) and have joined the ever-growing fleet of collectives working in different places around the world. I was hesitant to move us in that direction as I had/have my reservations about 'bureaucratising' community work, but paper-work aside, I think and feel that more good will come from opening up channels that allow for a greater flow of inspiration and staying-power. So, after a year of working with the Creative Collective, I am happy to report that we are moving full steam ahead!

In the process of registering us, I had to draft a Constitution and gather a Board and Office-bearers to keep things afloat. It takes two months for the Directorate of Nonprofit Organisations to give us the "OK". When our application has been approved, they send us a certificate after which we will be officially recognised as a community initiative/charity with a registered number. Having us registered means that we can pool in more funds, which means I can begin to employ people, which means that Creative Education can begin to stand in its own center, independent of my direct influence. At a later stage, I will pull out from the Director position, at which point someone wonderful will continue with the running of it.

...But all of that is still some time in the future, and I have to keep reminding myself not to run too far ahead of myself. In the mean time, our work together has not come to end despite Creative Education being a one-year educational model. We continue here in south Africa as I try and secure them a place at a fantastic school called Christel House (http://www.sa.christelhouse.org). Here, their growth will continue to be fed, nurtured and cared for, so we are looking forward to the success of their applications.

I am also about to start a new job in Coimbra, Portugal, and will be pushing my boundaries a bit as I attempt to take Creative Education there. I am hoping to work with refugee children there but obviously, I have to get a better sense of my place, space and capabilities in Portugal. Having two sites on different continents to work from is great because it means that I may begin to grow Creative Education globally and also (as a by-product) it will allow for better communication between children around the globe. In terms of stewarding the NPO ship here in Cape Town, my first job is to create some in-flow of capital. For the next couple of months, I will be fundraising and marketing as much as I can. So, let me begin her: If anyone knows of an institution that wants to support Creative Education in any way, please contact me on, Createducation@gmail.com

One year later, I found myself getting out of my car in Blikkiesdorp for possibly the last time in a long while. This past Wednesday, I had to say good-bye to the children. Although of course I will be seeing them from time to time (hopefully throughout their lives) the finality of our year working together bore heavily down on me as I hugged them, my mouth barely able to shape the words "bye guys". In reflection, it is undeniable how much healing these 6 and at one time 10 children have brought to my life. I have learnt significant amounts from my work with them, and as I move forward, they remain stalwart guides showing me the many ways to love. 


No comments:

Post a Comment